Friday, March 2, 2007

A Conversation with Jim Rohl

Jim Rohl is currently the administrator of Break the Circle of Stigma, an organization that he co-founded with Molly Rich in 1996. Break the Circle is dedicated to educating the public on issues of stigma and mental illness. The group’s work is done mainly through public speaking and the development of educational materials. Jim is also the founder of the Serenity Club, a self-help group for persons with mental illness. He met with Mental Health World to discuss his personal recovery from bi-polar illness and his plans for the future.

"I always remember feeling different when I was a kid. This was especially true when I was in middle school. My attention span was not very good. I grew up in a family where I needed to take my mind off of things. I always put myself some place else. I would get lost in the hallways. I could not find my locker. I was always in a fog and confused. I had a lot of anxiety. I had no confidence or self-esteem. When you do not have these things, it is hard to do well.

No comments: