Friday, July 27, 2007

Depression as Weakness

A survey from Mental Health America showed that 22 percent of Americans feel depression is a personal weakness (versus a real health problem), compared to 3 percent for cancer or diabetes.-- The Tennessean, “Stigma Plagues Mental Illness,” 7/15/07

As someone who has had depression, I suspect the percentage may be higher. Even for me, the messages from society and family are so ingrained it's hard sometimes to cut myself some slack. Part of the experience of depression is to beat yourself up anyway so this idea of depression as weakness is a convenient fist to pound yourself with. As I have gotten older, and had more experience with both depression and recovery, I find myself much better able to cut myself some slack, appropriately.

Missing everyone at Higgins this week!! It was great to meet people at the last training!

Kathryn










No comments: