Monday, March 10, 2008

My University of Guelph keynote…Part Two

I treasure most the moments after my presentation…

People approach me privately, often tentatively, to tell me their stories.

Somehow, they feel liberated to share the hard truths of their lives with the emotional trauma of mental illnesses. Still, they want to talk about the pain they have felt or witnessed and endured sometimes for years in silence because they cannot find help for the people they love and live for…

Their children, their spouses, their parents, their soul-mates, their dearest…

They share what are or have been their “family” secrets.

Sometimes it’s torture to put words to these feelings of fear and frustration. It’s unnerving to hear themselves speak these powerful words.

Their language is potent and evocative.

Their truths are exhausting for them to express.

No comments: