Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Peer Support for People Who Live with Mental Illness: The Launching of this Blog

Hello to you all....and welcome. By creating this blog, I hope to create a safe spot where people with mental health conditions will feel free to come and share with others. As you might know all too well, we all go through our ups and downs, our good days and our bad days, and our steps forward and our steps back. I am here for you as you go through these trials and tribulations, and I think you will find that others will be here for you too. Please feel free to publish, morning, noon, and night...but be aware that I have this blog on a setting where I leaf through comments, just to keep out people who might have some bad intentions (such as making fun of people with mental illnesses)...so it might take a few hours before your comments get published.
I want to let you know that I come from a school of thought where I have learned that recovery from mental illness IS possible. "Recovery" is not meant in the classic sense of the word--meaning "cured"--but is meant in the sense that people with mental illness are able to live meaningful, fulfilling lives out in the community, able to function without their mental illness impairing them on a daily basis. This is a state that is not easy to achieve, but one that is well worth striving for. I am currently in the midst of my personal journey toward recovery, and am learning different things about myself every day that help me to take steps further and further in a positive direction. Even making this blog is one of those steps. Reaching out to others and socializing--even online--is a great way to help yourself achieve recovery. I encourage you all to share various steps that you may encounter along your own personal journey to recovery--what works and what doesn't, what helps and what hinders. It can even just start with what makes you get out of bed in the morning! I am looking forward to hearing from you and listening to what you have to say. Each person's journey is important, and we all have a lot to contribute to each others' recovery journeys. Please comment below--let me know who you are, and what's on your mind……

Peer Support for People Who Live with Mental Illness: The Launching of this Blog

No comments: