Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Coming Out Crazy

 

It may surprise you to learn that I've never "come out" in any of my classes, and certainly not at the beginning of a new school term.

But yesterday, the first day of school, I did. I've never done it before. Here's what happened.

My class began at 8 a.m. It's a double-period class. I arrived at the Newnham campus of  Seneca College more than an hour early, at about 6:55 a.m. I knew had a tiny class – with only nine students registered. If I was lucky, maybe six would show up.

8 a.m. classes are loathed and shunned by students. They're never awake at 8 a.m. If they take an 8 a.m. class, usually it's because they need it and it's the only one that fits into their timetables.

Naturally, I was nervous. I always am on the first day – and tomorrow, I'll have another "first day" at another campus. So I'm nervous again, right now.

Yesterday, I was wondering exactly what I going to do with such a tiny group. I was anxious, too. I wanted to make a good first impression. So, I was up until close to 1 a.m. on Monday morning preparing and twigging my lesson plan. Then the alarm went off at 5 a.m. yesterday morning. I was running on raw energy. No gas…….

Technorati Tags: ,

Coming Out Crazy

No comments: