Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Using Advocacy as a Self-Help Tool | Psych Central

 

To truly experience wellness and recovery I have learned that I want to be, and have to be an advocate for issues that I feel passionately about. A big part of recovery for me has been learning to advocate for myself. When I began work on my recovery, I had no idea how to ask for what I wanted, needed and deserved. I don’t think I even knew what it was that I wanted. Over the years that has changed dramatically. I have become a seasoned self advocate. I know what I want for myself and work on it until I get it, or until I decide it is really something else I want and start working toward that. From time to time I have advocated for another person or a program. But now, with major cuts proposed in programs that are very important to me, and with the focus of our government being oppositional to many of my beliefs, I have become convinced that I must become a strong advocate in my community, region, and even nationally……..
Technorati Tags: ,

Using Advocacy as a Self-Help Tool | Psych Central

No comments: